Search This Blog

Thursday, May 10, 2012

RETO | Hollow Wood Surfboard by Bjorn Holm

Bjorn Holm sent me by email this teaser photo of his 6'4" Fish Wood Surfboard made of old broken skateboards.

The photo is from Bjorn's exhibition, last friday.

Bjorn sent to me via: tiago.reis78@gmail.com

"My name is Björn Holm and I live in Finland. For the last 4 months I have been shaping a hollow woodsurfboard.
The surfboard that I have been making is a 6'4 fish, and its made from old broken skateboards that i have collected from all around Finland. The fins are made from a nose and tail from a skateboard. I started making the board from my own skateboards, but I realized that I needed more boards. My friends have given me their old boards so thats been really sweet! I have also collected boards from all around Finland.

It has taken me 4 months to make this, and its my examwork in my school where I study furniture and graphic design. The board is hollow, weights 10 Kg and its made 100% from old broken skateboards, there is no other material in it.

I got my first skateboard when I was a kid, and snowboarding and surfing came after, I have also been riding Freestyle motocross as a "pro" the last 10 years, which means I have been travelling all around scandinavia and europe. So the last 10 years my time mostly went to riding my motocrossbike, but the board has always been with me!

The name "RETO" is short for "REcycle for TOmorrow" and in our language here in the swedish part of finland, it means "something thats broken"







You can see more on Bjorn's website: http://www.boboholm.com

Photos by Sami Vaskivuo

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing my project! been following this site for some time, and its really interesting, i really like it! keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was going to be some boring old post, but it really compensated for my time. I will post a link to this page on my blog. I am sure my visitors will find that very useful.

    Mini Malibu Surfboard & Wood Surfboard

    ReplyDelete